Fun Computer Virus Facts
- June 6, 2022
- Fun Tech Facts
Did you know that the first computer virus was created in 1971. The virus, called “The Creeper,” infected code on computers at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. It would display the message “I’m The Creeper. Catch me if you can!”
Since then, computer viruses have evolved into a severe threat to users worldwide. They can cause everything from minor annoyances to massive data loss and financial damage. But despite their dangers, many people still don’t know very much about them. So in this blog post, I’m going to share some interesting facts about computer viruses that you may not have known.
- The original purpose of the virus was to demonstrate the potential security vulnerabilities of computers.
- The first virus to cause widespread damage was the “Elk Cloner,” which was released in 1982 and infected Apple II computers.
- The estimated cost of the “Love Bug” virus, which caused $5.5 billion in damage when it was released in 2000, would be nearly $10 billion today.
- As of 2018, there were an estimated 350,000 new malware variants being released every day.
- The term “virus” was first used in reference to computer malware in 1983.
- The Morris Worm, released in 1988, is considered the first actual computer virus. It was responsible for an estimated $96 million in damage.
How Many New Computer Viruses Are Released Yearly?
This is a tricky question to answer because there is no one central source of information on computer viruses. However, based on the best estimates of experts in the field, it is thought that there are somewhere between 10,000 and 100,000 new computer viruses released each day. That’s a lot of viruses!
Of course, not all of these viruses are equally dangerous. Some are harmless and only annoy, while others can be pretty destructive. It’s essential to have good antivirus software installed on your computer to protect yourself from the more harmful ones.
Well, that’s all for now. Stay safe out there, and don’t let the viruses get you! As always, if you have any questions or want more information on computer viruses, feel free to reach out to us. We love talking about this stuff (and helping people stay virus-free). What virus software do you use? Do you know of any other exciting computer virus facts? Let us know in the comments below – we would love to hear from you!
So stay safe out there, and remember: don’t click on any links from strangers!
About us and this blog
We are a Dawesville digital marketing company with a focus on helping our customers achieve great results online. Our blog is full of useful information that could help.
Request a free quote
We offer various digital marketing services that will help your business grow and thrive online. We are a team of professionals committed to providing only high-quality work for all our customers. Regardless of whether you need an update on Facebook advertising campaigns or website optimisation, we have what it takes!
Subscribe to our newsletter!
- Why Backing Up Your Website Is Important October 28, 2022
- The Importance of Photoshop for Graphic Designers September 30, 2022
- How Social Media Marketing Can Help Your Dawesville Business September 23, 2022